Gutters are a critical part of your home because they protect your foundation and basement from potential water damage. When your home accumulates too much water or debris from a storm, it can cause erosion, flooding, a weakened foundation, and other water damage issues.
This article explains more about the purpose of a gutter, why gutter cleaning is essential, and critical gutter maintenance tips to ensure it does its job correctly. Whether you choose the DIY route or dependable gutter services in Bloomington, you can preserve the life of your home by taking the proper steps to take care of your gutters.
What is a Gutter, and Why is it Important?
Gutters have the critical job of irrigating water away from your house. Heavy rains can cause damage to your home, especially your doors, windows, and foundation. Your gutters do more than divert water from these areas. They save you costly damages and expenses down the road. When water seeps into these places, the issues could be catastrophic for your residence, but also your wallet.
Not only do gutters protect your home’s foundation, but they also preserve your landscaping, eliminate erosion, and block basement flooding. Rain can also stain your home’s exterior, cause paint damage, and create mold and mildew. Gutters guard against all these potential issues.
Why is Gutter Cleaning Important?
If you want your gutter to do its job effectively, you must continue to keep it clean and perform regular maintenance. Gutter cleaning is not a challenging project if you spread it out and do it as a preventative measure. There are many reasons why gutter cleaning is vital for you and your home:
- Protects against water damage – if you do not clean your gutter, your gutters and downspouts will clog with debris and leaves. Therefore, rainwater will not drain correctly, water will overflow, and it will cause damage to both the exterior and interior of your house.
- Helps control pests – when your gutters clog with leaves, they create suitable homes for insects, rodents, and birds. Routinely cleaning your gutter will eliminate the chance of these pests settling at your home.
- Roof protection – blocked gutters do not provide rainwater the flexibility to drain away from your house. When water continuously floods over, it will make your roof leaky or rotten as a result.
- Saves you money – if you perform preventive maintenance on your gutter, it will reduce the risk of costly capital projects in the long run.
- Decreases possibility of cracked foundation – rainwater will form pools in your home’s foundation when it cannot drain away. When you regularly clean your gutter, it will enable the water to travel away and not consistently build up in the foundation.
Gutter Maintenance Tips
Winters in Bloomington can be severe, so it would be best for you to inspect your gutter, roof, and downspout systems in the fall. Although gutter maintenance is a yearlong task for homeowners, you should perform checks before and after storms to keep your downspouts and gutters free of clogs, damage, and debris. Doing so will prevent roof leaks and prolong your gutter’s longevity.
Whenever you address your gutter, it is essential to prioritize safety. Here are several safety tips to keep in mind throughout the year:
- Wear gloves and safety goggles
- Invest in non-slip shoes
- Abide by ladder safety recommendations by the NSC
- If the gutter project is above your first story, you should hire a professional
- Utilize a mask to shield your respiratory system from pollen, dust, debris, or allergens
Are you looking for more gutter maintenance tips to keep your home safe? Check out these key behaviors and strategies below.
- Clear out existing debris from the roof – when it rains, dirt and debris wash downward toward the gutter because of gravity. You should hire a professional the first time to complete this task, and then clean it off once per month.
- Clean gutters semi-annually – you should clean the gutters once in the spring and right before the wintertime.
- Check gutters for leaks, rust, corroded joints, and holes – you will most likely find these issues near the gutter joints where the edges are welded. You can grab gutter patching kits from the store, and if it is time to replace the gutters, start with vinyl, copper, or aluminum options.
- Monitor the downspouts – gutters do the work in carrying debris and water that washes from the roof, but the downspouts prevent the water from draining near the base of your house. You should check the downspouts for holes, leaks, and corroded joints, just like the gutters.
A Quality Gutter Service Can Get the Job Done
Investing time into caring for your gutter can provide long-term benefits. You can save on future repair costs, protect your foundation, preserve the longevity of your roof, combat pests, and prevent water damage.
If you need a hand in keeping your house safe, do not hesitate to contact Cornerstone Roofing at (812) 300-0147. We provide reliable, 5-star gutter services in Bloomington, dealing with residential and commercial properties. Our team has built trust in the community, delivering quality service for over 20 years. Call for a quote today!